Friday, January 18, 2013

27. I acted on my own and not on orders: Ex-Sabah NRD boss


I acted on my own and not on orders: Ex-Sabah NRD boss

http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=84018
Published on: Friday, January 18, 2013

  
y
Kota Kinabalu: FORMER Sabah JPN Director Datuk Abdul Rauf Sani refuted the allegation that he had acted, based on orders concerning the issuance of IC to Muslim refugees from the Philippines and Indonesia in the state.
H e, however, admitted he had, during his tenure as Sabah JPN Director in 1990, led a unit known as G17, which was responsible to manage the issuance of blue IC to immigrants.
Abdul Rauf, who was arrested under the Internal Security Act (ISA) in April 1996, also told the commission that he knew and was aware of the issuance of the IC.
"I did it on my own. No one ordered me. As a government officer, all orders must be made in black and white," said Abdul Rauf, who is now a Chief Executive Officer of a government-linked company.
Asked why he was arrested under the ISA, Abdul Rauf said he was accused of being involved in the illegal issuance of blue ICs for money.
He said he was detained under the ISA for 60 days and later, under the restricted residence until November 1996.
On the claim made yesterday by a former Sabah JPN officer, who was also former ISA detainee, that 40,000 ICs were signed and issued to Philippine refugees monthly, Abdul Rauf said he was unsure.
"Maybe hundreds, maybe thousands, I have no record on that because they were managed by my officers," he said.
<><><><>

No comments:

Post a Comment